What is SEO?
SEO is the activity of optimizing Web pages or whole sites in order to make them more search engine friendly, thus getting higher positions in search results.
SEO is sometimes also called SEO copyrighting because most of the techniques that are used to promote sites in search engines deal with text.
- SEO Stands for Search Engine Optimization.
- SEO is all about optimizing a web site for Search Engines.
- SEO is the process of designing and developing a web site to rank well in search engine results.
- SEO is to improve the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines.
- SEO is a subset of search engine marketing.
- SEO is the art of ranking in the search engines.
- SEO is marketing by understanding how search algorithms work and what
- human visitors might search.
If you plan to do some basic SEO, it is essential that you understand how search engines work and which items are most important in SEO.
How Search Engine Works?
Search engines perform several activities in order to deliver search results
- Crawling - is the process of fetching all the web pages linked to a web site. This task is performed by a software, called a crawler or a spider (or Googlebot, as is the case with Google).
- Indexing - is the process of creating index for all the fetched web pages and keeping them into a giant database from where it can later be retrieved. Essentially, the process of indexing is identifying the words and expressions that best describe the page and assigning the page to particular keywords.
- Processing - When a search request comes, the search engine processes it . i.e. it compares the search string in the search request with the indexed pages in the database.
- Calculating Relevancy - Since it is likely that more than one pages contains the search string, so the search engine starts calculating the relevancy of each of the pages in its index to the search string.
- Retrieving Results - The last step in search engines' activities is retrieving the best matched results. Basically, it is nothing more than simply displaying them in the browser.
What is SEO Copywriting?
SEO Copywriting is the technique of writing the viewable text on a web page in such a way that it reads well for the surfer, and also targets specific search terms. Its purpose is to rank highly in the search engines for the targeted search terms.
As well as the viewable text, SEO Copywriting usually optimizes other on-page elements for the targeted search terms. These include the Title, Description and Keywords tags, headings and alt text.
The idea behind SEO Copywriting is that search engines want genuine content pages and not additional pages (often called "doorway pages") that are created for the sole purpose of achieving high rankings.
What is Search Engine Rank?
When you search any keyword using a search engine then it displays thousands of results found in its database. A page ranking is measured by the position of web pages displayed in the search engine results. If Search engine is putting your web page on first position then your web page rank will be number 1 and it will be assumed as with a high rank.
SEO is the process of designing and developing a web site to attend a high rank in search engine results.
White Hat SEO
An SEO tactic, technique or method is considered as White Hat if it follows the followings
- If it conforms to the search engine's guidelines.
- If it does not involves any deception.
- It ensures that the content a search engine indexes and subsequently ranks is the same content a user will see.
- It ensures that a Web Page content should have been created for the users and not just for the search engines.
- It ensures the good quality of the web pages
- It ensures the useful content available on the web pages
Always follow a White Hat SEO tactic and don't try to fool your site visitors. Be honest and definitely you will get something more.
Black Hat or Spamdexing
An SEO tactic, technique or method is considered as Black Hat or Spamdexing if it follows the followings
- Try to improve rankings that are disapproved of by the search engines and/or involve deception.
- Redirecting users from a page that is built for search engines to one that is more human friendly.
- Redirecting users to a page that was different from the page the Search Engine ranked. Serving one version of a page to search engine piders/bots and another version to human visitors. This is called Cloaking SO tactic.
- Using Hidden or invisible text or with the page background color, using a tiny font size or hiding them within the HTML code such as "no frame" sections.
- Repeating keywords in the Meta tags, and using keywords that are unrelated to the site's content. This is called Meta tag stuffing.
- Calculated placement of keywords within a page to raise the keyword count, variety, and density of the page. This is called Keyword stuffing
- Creating low-quality web pages that contain very little content but are instead stuffed with very similar key words and phrases. These pages are called Doorway or Gateway Pages Mirror web sites by hosting multiple web sites all with conceptually similar content but using different URLs.
- Creating a rogue copy of a popular web site which shows contents similar to the original to a web crawler, but redirects web surfers to unrelated or malicious web sites. This is called Page hijacking.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)